PURSUANT to A.R.S. Section 38-431.02, notice is hereby given to the Show Low Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee and to the general public, that a Regular Meeting of the Show Low Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee was held on Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 5:30 p.m. in the City Hall Conference Room, 550 North 9th Place, Show Low, Navajo County, Arizona.
1. Call to Order – David Fawcett,, Committee Chair
AND RECREATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT:
STAFF PRESENT: Jessica Compton, Recreation Coordinator; Joel Weeks Community Services Director.
3. Consideration of Approval of Minutes of March 17th,
Recreation Coordinator Michael Penttingil was selected as the new
5. Nikolaus Homestead Park Grand Opening is scheduled for June 11 at 11am. This will be a short ceremony with pictures and words from the Nikolaus family and City staff.
6. Centennial Projects/Events
A. 4th of July FreedomFest has been approved as a centennial project. The centennial logo is part of 2011 FreedomFest logo. The event is listed on Centennial list serve and in their media releases.
B. Bench Project was being overseen by Jason, nothing new to report, Jessica will look into what he had developed before leaving the city.
7. Smoking Ordinance within the City Parks was not approved by the City Council. The Parks and Recreation advisory asked that Jessica look more into other cities and municipalities that have had an ordinance approve and bring that information to the next meeting.
8 Department Reports
A. Aquatics: the Jr Guard program will start in June. Swim lesson registration started and most of the classes filled to capacity on the first day.
B. Sports: Memorial tournament had #40 teams and was successful as always. Pee Wee tee ball, registration for start smart soccer, registration for women’s volleyball.
C. Community Programs: all programs are getting underway. This area will include the new BMX track at Nikolaus Park. Parks and Recreation staff attended two day training at city hall on the process of running races and the partnership with ABA.
D. Special Events: Knock Blues out of Hunger June 18th, Show Low Days June 4-6, White Mountain Youth Leadership Friday adventure series.
9. Report from Show Low Fields Committee: No report